Gran’s Apple Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 13x9-in. baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Fold in apples and pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar (mixture will be soft). Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 241 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 15, 2018
I don't understand why folks advertise a cake as Grandmas old favorite then "lighten it up"......... I often change a recipe (i.e. using applesauce but please........ I want to see what Grandma offered! Thanks.
Mar 21, 2018
This cake is so yummy. I also diced the apples and left out the raisins. It's good with or without the icing.
Jan 19, 2018
This is very good cake but if I’m making it for a smaller group it’s to much I’m wondering if I can freeze some of it
Sep 29, 2017
Best apple cake recipe ever!! Do double the frosting ; I did use real butter in the cake (no oil) and in the frosting. I always use butter in baking. I used regular cream cheese. Perfect.
Sep 29, 2017
Excellent moist cake. Easy to put together. I agree with other reviewers that dicing the apples makes it even better. The cake is loaded with apples. I personally do not put in the nuts or raisins, but I am sure both are great options. The frosting is delicious as well. Definite 5 stars on this one !!
Sep 28, 2017
So moist and deliousous. Love apple cake but this one really stands out!
Sep 14, 2017
AWESOME APPLE CAKE: I made this cake without the icing and it was incredible. I have used several different apple cake recipes in the past but never one that uses 6 cups of diced apples. It's loaded with apples. I intend to throw out all other apple cake recipes and keep this one. IT REALLY IS THAT GOOD!
Sep 7, 2017
This cake is excellent. Sometimes I sprinkle cinn. & sugar & nuts on top before baking & eliminate the icing.
Aug 30, 2017
I live apple cake this one looks n sounds great.
May 1, 2017
Very nice and moist, will make again
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.