Gran’s Apple Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 13x9-in. baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Fold in apples and pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar (mixture will be soft). Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 241 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 17, 2019
Divine! I withheld nuts and instead toasted and sprinkled them on top of the icing on half of the cake to please the picky eaters in my family. I loved the toasted crunch. Also, I did not have enough white sugar and had to use half dark brown sugar, but the recipe was still delicious that way. The huge amount of apples is just right, and I thought the amount of icing suggested was a perfect accent without making the cake too sweet.
Jan 12, 2019
The recipe sounded really good and the reviews I read were mostly 4-5 stars. I wanted to try it for my self but a 9x13 cake is a little large for 2. I decided to halve the cake portion of the recipe and bake it in a 8x8 pan and took about 30 min. to cook. I made the frosting as directed and it covered the cake with little left over. The cake was delicious, moist and full of apples and nuts. I will be using this recipe again.
Sep 26, 2018
I would like to add raisins like the original recipe. What is the amount to use?
Jul 15, 2018
I don't understand why folks advertise a cake as Grandmas old favorite then "lighten it up"......... I often change a recipe (i.e. using applesauce but please........ I want to see what Grandma offered! Thanks.
Mar 21, 2018
This cake is so yummy. I also diced the apples and left out the raisins. It's good with or without the icing.
Jan 19, 2018
This is very good cake but if I’m making it for a smaller group it’s to much I’m wondering if I can freeze some of it
Sep 29, 2017
Best apple cake recipe ever!! Do double the frosting ; I did use real butter in the cake (no oil) and in the frosting. I always use butter in baking. I used regular cream cheese. Perfect.
Sep 29, 2017
Excellent moist cake. Easy to put together. I agree with other reviewers that dicing the apples makes it even better. The cake is loaded with apples. I personally do not put in the nuts or raisins, but I am sure both are great options. The frosting is delicious as well. Definite 5 stars on this one !!
Sep 28, 2017
So moist and deliousous. Love apple cake but this one really stands out!
Sep 14, 2017
AWESOME APPLE CAKE: I made this cake without the icing and it was incredible. I have used several different apple cake recipes in the past but never one that uses 6 cups of diced apples. It's loaded with apples. I intend to throw out all other apple cake recipes and keep this one. IT REALLY IS THAT GOOD!