Grandma’s Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2% milk
- Additional sugar
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim crust even with edge of plate. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Arrange half of the apples in pastry shell; sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture. Repeat layers. Dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with milk and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Serve warm if desired or cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 417 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 27, 2016
Wonderful apple pie! So easy, and tasty, and gorgeous to look at! Will definitely be my new go to apple pie recipe!
Oct 29, 2015
This is a very close recipe my mom had that I misplaced her recipe in a recent move. It brings back memories. It is a very delicious pie recipe. Will make again!
Sep 4, 2010
Very deish. We are diabetics, so I made this with Whey Low for diabetics. Turned out great. Made this along with the Creamy Chicken Rice Soup recipe found on Taste of Home. Will make both again.
Nov 7, 2009
Delicious! I added fresh grated ginger and used fresh grated nutmeg with a dash of jamacian all spice. Loved it.