Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll remaining crust to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in crust.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 414 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 26, 2019
A classic treat. Followed the recipe exactly except for the egg wash and sugar on top of the crust at the end.
Nov 25, 2019
Best apple pie ever
Nov 18, 2019
Oct 19, 2019
Awesome. Great recipe. And I believe that the 1/2 c sugar means white sugar. Because I don't know of any other sugars.
Oct 13, 2019
The amount of white sugar isn't listed on the recipe. This info would be helpful.
Oct 7, 2019
I have never baked a pie before but this came out amazing ! I didn’t use any ginger and only used 2lbs of apples witch I recommend. I also used Macintosh apples (they were a tad bit sour) But over all it was very delicious !!
Aug 27, 2019
Outstanding!!! Used Granny Smith apples - got rave reviews from all folks at the campground. I didn't have nutmeg and forgot to add the butter - oh well. Still awesome taste and texture the next day. Definitely a keeper to make again with homemade vanilla ice cream. Yummy.
Aug 25, 2019
Second time making.....first time too much liquid......i used my canned apples...drained all juice.........put extra cinnamon.......excellent.....! Will continue using this simple recipe.....
Jul 23, 2019
Way too much ginger and nutmeg in this recipe. I even had more apples than called for and it was overpowering. Cut back the cinnamon, and just add a pinch of the nutmeg and ginger. Let the apples be the hero.
Jul 22, 2019
I think the recipe is delicious. I noticed some of you found it soupy. Not that I am an expert but I think some apples have more juice in them then others. Maybe if you are using an extra juicy apple you will have to add a little more flour. Just a suggestion.