Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim crust even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining dough to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in crust.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 414 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 18, 2018
Very good apple pie recipe! I lost my cookbook that I had for 30 years, which contained my Apple Pie Recipe. I had an idea of all the ingredients I needed but wasn't quite sure on the measurements. Found your recipe and it was fabulous! I love the use of all 3 spices and the brown sugar. Thanks for sharing this recipe! It's already in my new cookbook I've started. :)
Jun 15, 2018
This is by far the best apple pie I have ever made and eaten. I think it is the brown sugar instead of all white sugar. Whatever it is it is fantastic!
Mar 20, 2018
I have been making this exact pie for many years but in my recipe I have 1/4 tsp cloves instead of ginger, which I do prefer. I like my pie mildly sweet so I only add 1/4 cup each of the sugars. I find the apples have a good amount of there own sugar, even Granny Smiths. I also blind bake my bottom crust, I find the crust doesn’t become soggy this way. This is an excellent recipe. Thx Maggie
Jan 19, 2018
Every hood and tastu!
Jan 18, 2018
The best apple pie I have ever eaten!!!
Dec 9, 2017
I tried this recipe for the first time today. It was the easiest way to make a delicious apple pie. I will never have to buy a apple pie again. I will continue using this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing it.
Nov 27, 2017
I love this pie and make it often! I’ve found that thinner and consistent apple slices are best, and you have to let it cool completely (up to 2 hours) to avoid soupiness. I also like to do an open weave with the top crust, which may allow for extra evaporation. Lastly, I cook it for about an hour total 30 with foil, 30 without.
Nov 24, 2017
This pie was a soupy mess! I even followed the advice of another reviewer and reduced the juices and sugars of the apples before assembling the pie. Also, the apples were very thinly sliced and did not cook through after 50 minutes of baking when the crust was done. The flavors were very good but the way it baked up was unacceptable, especially for so much work. I'd be less disappointed if I had used a store bought crust and saved the time and effort. Will NOT make this again.
Nov 24, 2017
BEST apple pie recipe that I've ever made. Everyone loved it.
Nov 24, 2017
Flavorful and delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.