Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll remaining crust to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in crust.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 414 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 19, 2019
Awesome. Great recipe. And I believe that the 1/2 c sugar means white sugar. Because I don't know of any other sugars.
Oct 13, 2019
The amount of white sugar isn't listed on the recipe. This info would be helpful.
Oct 7, 2019
I have never baked a pie before but this came out amazing ! I didn’t use any ginger and only used 2lbs of apples witch I recommend. I also used Macintosh apples (they were a tad bit sour) But over all it was very delicious !!
Aug 27, 2019
Outstanding!!! Used Granny Smith apples - got rave reviews from all folks at the campground. I didn't have nutmeg and forgot to add the butter - oh well. Still awesome taste and texture the next day. Definitely a keeper to make again with homemade vanilla ice cream. Yummy.
Aug 25, 2019
Second time making.....first time too much liquid......i used my canned apples...drained all juice.........put extra cinnamon.......excellent.....! Will continue using this simple recipe.....
Jul 23, 2019
Way too much ginger and nutmeg in this recipe. I even had more apples than called for and it was overpowering. Cut back the cinnamon, and just add a pinch of the nutmeg and ginger. Let the apples be the hero.
Jul 22, 2019
I think the recipe is delicious. I noticed some of you found it soupy. Not that I am an expert but I think some apples have more juice in them then others. Maybe if you are using an extra juicy apple you will have to add a little more flour. Just a suggestion.
Jun 10, 2019
I have been baking this recipe for years and love to experiment with a combination of different apples when available here in Namibia. The only time I have been disappointed is when I did not bake it long enough. Now I always check for the clear syrup to bubble out of the vent before removing from the oven. Great Flavor and very easy to make.
May 25, 2019
This apple pie is has amazing flavor. The only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars was the fact it turned out a little soupy and the apples stayed really firm however because it tasted so good everyone loved it. Next time I make it I’m going to try cooking the apple mixture a little before putting it into pie shell to try to thicken it up a bit and soften apples a little. This recipe is definitely a keeper!
May 5, 2019
Hos TL make the pie Crust at home