Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll remaining crust to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in crust.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 414 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 28, 2020
I have a ton of apples and decided to make Apple pie. I’ve always heard Granny Smith apples make the best pies. It turns out it’s because tart apples have the most pectin and other apples can make your pie soupy. Lesson learned... either use Granny Smith or allow apples to macerate and release juices prior to baking. Watery or not, the pie was still delicious!
Jan 25, 2020
Best apple pie I've ever made! And I have it on good authority - two experts at eating apple pie - a grandson and a neighbour!
Jan 23, 2020
Very bad recipe pie turned out horrible baking time and oven temperature are way off.
Jan 1, 2020
These recipes look great! It’s awesome to see so many delicious recipes in one place.
Nov 26, 2019
A classic treat. Followed the recipe exactly except for the egg wash and sugar on top of the crust at the end.
Nov 25, 2019
Best apple pie ever
Nov 18, 2019
Oct 19, 2019
Awesome. Great recipe. And I believe that the 1/2 c sugar means white sugar. Because I don't know of any other sugars.
Oct 13, 2019
The amount of white sugar isn't listed on the recipe. This info would be helpful.
Oct 7, 2019
I have never baked a pie before but this came out amazing ! I didn’t use any ginger and only used 2lbs of apples witch I recommend. I also used Macintosh apples (they were a tad bit sour) But over all it was very delicious !!