Delicious Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 medium Red Delicious apples, peeled, sliced
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon-sugar
- In a small bowl, mix water and cornstarch until dissolved. Add egg, cream, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Place apples in a large bowl; pour cream mixture over and stir to coat. Line a 9-in. pie pan with the bottom pastry. Pour apple mixture into crust; dot with butter. Top with remaining pastry; flute edges and cut slits in top. Brush with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 422 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 14, 2017
Delicious pie but the apples, because they are red delicious seem to be very firm. Is there any way, either baking longer or some other way to soften the apples more. I have cut them up into smaller wedges hoping to eliminate this problem to no avail. Thank you, Margaret