Golden Delicious Apple Pie
I make this pie using apples from my own orchard. The addition of cider really enhances the appealing flavor.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 7 cups thinly sliced peeled Golden Delicious apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/3 cups apple cider or apple juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Place the apples in a large bowl; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in apple cider until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice.
- Pour over apples; toss to coat. Pour into pastry shell. For topping, combine the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 45-50 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 335 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cider Apple Pie in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.