Golden Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 6 cups sliced peeled Golden Delicious apples
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple juice, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- In a large saucepan, combine apples, 3/4 cup apple juice, sugar, cinnamon and apple pie spice; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and remaining apple juice; add to saucepan. Return to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1 minute more or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- For crust, combine flour and salt; cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork until dough can be formed into a ball. Divide in half, making 1 half slightly larger. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 480 calories, 24g fat (15g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 480mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 27, 2018
Excellent taste! Will be my go to recipe for apple pie from now on.
Nov 3, 2017
The filling was truly amazing! I can see why your family truly Loves your pies! . Thanks for sharing! A happy mom and Grand mom! Happy holidays to you and yours
Jul 7, 2017
This apple pie.has a wonderful taste. It's hreat with vanilla ice cream on top! Yum!
Nov 20, 2016
My husband's favorite dessert is apple pie. He gave this one good reviews.
Aug 28, 2016
Excellent pie! I followed this exactly and it was a hit!
Mar 22, 2016
My favorite apple pie!!!! Have also won ribbons at state fair. I use my own favorite pie crust recipe.
Jan 18, 2015
Excellent apple mixture. I'm not great at making pastry but the inside of the pie turned out awesome. Will make this again. I used another recipe for the crust but used in ingredients for the pie.
Nov 28, 2014
Fixed it for Thanksgiving dinner yesterday; it was perfect!! (used my own oil based crust recipe) It's a keeper and is now in my recipe box to make again for Christmas!
Sep 10, 2014
This crust recipe is very off. The fat in it should be about half that or less. I am experienced and fixed it some, but we had to way overwork the dough to fix it.the filling was fine.
Jan 27, 2014
Very good pie. I was afraid it would be watery but came out perfect.