Golden Squash Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
Makes2 pies (6-8 servings each)
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- Ground nutmeg, optional
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, squash, buttermilk, butter and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to the squash mixture and mix until smooth. Pour into pastry shells. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 25 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 295 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 349mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 30, 2009
If your family likes pumpkin pie, they will love this pie! It has a smoother texture and milder flavor, but still tastes rich and creamy. If you do not want the fuss of preparing the squash you can purchase already prepared butternut squash in the frozen foods section at the grocery store.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.