Winter Vegetable Shepherd’s Pie
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1-inch pieces)
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups frozen peas (about 8 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place first four ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain vegetables, reserving broth. Mash vegetables until smooth, stirring in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- In two batches, cook turkey and onion in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until turkey is no longer pink, 5-7 minutes, breaking turkey into crumbles. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms until tender, 7-9 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add wine, thyme and the remaining salt and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring to remove browned bits from pan. Cook until liquid is evaporated. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in reserved broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in peas and turkey mixture; heat through.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-quart baking dish. Spread with mashed vegetables. Bake, uncovered, until filling is bubbly, 30-35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 314 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 15, 2019
This was good. We enjoyed it but it is a bit of work. Filling needs more veggies.Not sure if I would make this again.
Nov 21, 2018
Excellent recipe! Perfect blend of flavors that makes a light, yet rich dish.