Spaghetti Squash Meatball Casserole
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chopped collard greens
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut squash lengthwise in half; discard seeds. Place halves on a microwave-safe plate, cut side down. Microwave, uncovered, on high until tender, 15-20 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix 1/4 teaspoon salt with remaining seasonings; add to beef, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs over medium heat; remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in collard greens, spinach, ricotta cheese and remaining salt; remove from heat.
- Using a fork, separate strands of spaghetti squash; stir into greens mixture. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with tomatoes, meatballs, sauce and cheese. Bake, uncovered, until meatballs are cooked through, 30-35 minutes.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 362 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 618mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Oct 9, 2019
I would like to add a hint to those who use this recipe. Do not try to cut the squash lengthwise before it is cooked because it is very hard and you will likely only end up cutting yourself instead! The easiest way to cut it before you cook it is to cut around the middle where the tough ends are not there. This sounds like a good meal to try since we do like spaghetti squash and just froze five gallons of it for later use this winter!
Jun 4, 2019
This looks yummy, but my family is not big on veggies especially zucchini; so I am going to use actual spaghetti noodles instead. I may also yield a few spices that I am unfamiliar with.
Jan 26, 2019
One of the best spaghetti squash recipe I have found yet. Highly recommend others to try!!! Thanks for sharing.