Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash salt
- Dash garlic powder
- 1/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce or meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, egg substitute, Italian seasoning, onion powder, salt and garlic powder. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1/2-in. balls; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Drain pasta and meatballs. In a small bowl, combine meatballs with marinara sauce. Spoon half of mixture into a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with half of the pasta, cottage cheese and mozzarella; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 453 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 804mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 30g protein.
Sep 23, 2014
This was really easy. I made the meatballs ahead of time and then added a little more pasta and sauce because it was for my 3 year old, husband and I. It made plenty when I included garlic bread and veggies and everyone liked it!
May 27, 2014
Looks very easyfor sure. The carb count is not very friendly, however, there are ways to get around that.
Jan 24, 2011
I had to be out of the house during the time I usually cook, but wanted supper ready so I put the layers in the crock pot to melt the cheese for a couple of hours while I was out so I didn't need to use the oven.I also used ready made meatballs.
Dec 16, 2010
I think sliced olives might be good with this casserole. My DH who doesn't like tomatoes said it was too tomato-y. I'd like to make it over with a cheese or white sauce? How can I do this? Any ideas?
Oct 6, 2010
This was a very simple and easy recipe to make and VERY DELICIOUS! The turkey meatballs had tons of great flavors. My guests for dinner really enjoyed it.