Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 1 jar (16 ounces) whole onions, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, chopped onion, salt, marjoram and thyme. Crumble beef over the top and mix well. Shape into 24 meatballs. Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Brown meatballs in batches; drain.
- Add the soup, broth, potatoes, carrots and whole onions. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 248 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 895mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Aug 23, 2019
I made the meatball stew from the farm journal mag., it was the same except it added Worchester sauce. Green beans was placed on top of the whole stew, last 15 min. of cooking, the recipe was cook totally in a electric skillet, on medium heat. for about ` Originally, the recipe I used came from the Farm journal magazine, I believe about 1996. Except it had Worchester sauce in the list of ingredients, and the whole meal took a total time to cook about 45 mins.
Nov 1, 2017
I used this recipe for a base. The biggest changes I made. Was a made a roux out of the oil that I cooked my meatballs in. I home can everything so I just wing it. Tomato juice ,carrots, and cabbage all home grown. Turned out good.
Mar 31, 2014
Wonderful! Easy! Good!
Mar 22, 2014
So good even my daughter who dislikes beef tried and loved it she requested it when she came home from college.
Feb 23, 2014
Made this stew this week. We enjoyed it very much and leftovers also. I used my own recipe for the meatballs. Added about 1 T. tomato paste in the stew and used an onion chopped for the jar of onions as that is what I had.Had some leftover peas so dumped those in also.... It is a keeper... Can't go wrong with meatballs....
Feb 23, 2014
I used mini shell pasta instead of the potatoes and it was great! Very comforting soup!
Feb 9, 2014
I simmer my meatballs in a bouillon broth (3 cups water; 2 chipotle bouillon cubes; 1 beef bouillon cube) and add them and the broth to the slow cooker with the veggies and a large jar of garlic-lime salsa (Great Value brand from Wal-Mart), which takes the place of the canned broth and soup. We sometimes add cilantro instead of parsley.Same basic recipe, just changed a bit to suit our tastes.Good stuff!
Feb 9, 2014
A do-over at our house. I used about 1/2 pkg of frozen meatballs instead of preparing them. Based upon other reviews, I used 2 8 oz cans of tomato sauce and only 1 can of beef broth and added chopped onions to the veggies (no jarred on hand). The next time we make it, we are going to add frozen peas -- for color -- and Cajun spice for more seasoning. On a cold rainy, California night, it certainly hit the spot!
Feb 8, 2014
Made this tonight for dinner to take away the winter chills. Everyone loved it - a keeper. Couldn't find a jar of onions or frozen pearl onions at the store, so I just used some small onions from the garden cut into quarters. Everyone added salt & pepper to taste and loved it.
Feb 8, 2014
A jar of whole onions???What aisle in the grocery store would you find that.