Slow-Cooker Meatball Stew
This recipe was a lifesaver when I worked full time and needed a dinner the kids would enjoy when we got home. It is perfect to let your young ones help prepare. They can chop, peel, mix and pour. It doesn’t matter if the veggies are all different sizes—your children will still devour this fun and tasty stew. —Kallee Krong-McCreery, Escondido, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 4 peeled medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup frozen corn (if your elephant likes corn; optional if not)
- 1 package (28 to 32 ounces) frozen fully cooked home-style meatballs
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Biscuits or dinner rolls, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, celery and onion; add corn if desired. Add meatballs. In a bowl, mix ketchup, water, vinegar and basil; pour over meatballs. Cook, covered, on low until meatballs are cooked through, 6-8 hours. If desired, serve with biscuits or dinner rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 449 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 1322mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Elephant Stew (for the crockpot) in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.