Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt-free garlic herb seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider or white vinegar
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In large bowl, combine tomato sauce, broth, chili sauce, brown sugar and vinegar. Transfer meatballs to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Pour sauce over top. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until meatballs are cooked through. To serve, sprinkle with green onion.
Nutrition Facts1 meatball: 77 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 31, 2018
I made these meatballs for an Asian inspired meal, and they didn't have the flavor I was looking for. I feel they would better as an appetizer meatball. The sauce has good flavor and there was plenty of it. The meatballs did get a little dry and that affected the texture some.