Sweet BBQ Meatballs
These sauced-up meatballs have big Asian flair. If your family likes sweet-and-sour chicken, this beefy version hits the spot. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs, thawed
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- 1 jar (10 ounces) apricot preserves
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, pepper and onion; cook and stir until tender, 7-9 minutes.
- Stir in meatballs, barbecue sauce, preserves, pineapple, water, mustard and allspice. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until meatballs are heated through. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meatball mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice): 512 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 1507mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Jul 26, 2015
Very nice! We really enjoyed this dish. Quick and tasty for sure. I would omit the water next time to make the sauce even thicker, but it's a definite make-again meal! - Field Editor