Sweet BBQ Meatballs
These sauced-up meatballs have big Asian flair. If your family likes sweet-and-sour chicken, this beefy version hits the spot. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs, thawed
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- 1 jar (10 ounces) apricot preserves
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, pepper and onion; cook and stir until tender, 7-9 minutes.
- Stir in meatballs, barbecue sauce, preserves, pineapple, water, mustard and allspice. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until meatballs are heated through. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meatball mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice): 512 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 1507mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Sweet BBQ Meatballs & Rice in Simple & Delicious August/September 2014
Jul 26, 2015
Very nice! We really enjoyed this dish. Quick and tasty for sure. I would omit the water next time to make the sauce even thicker, but it's a definite make-again meal! - Field Editor