Sweet and Sour Meatballs with Pineapple
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, undrained
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil, turning often. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside; drain.
- To the skillet, add the pineapple, green peppers, sugar, vinegar, oil and soy sauce. Cover and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Return meatballs to skillet; simmer until meat is no longer pink.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 328 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 416mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 27, 2015
I was looking for a simple and tasty meatball recipe and this fit the bill. I did reduce the amount of sugar to 1/3 cup and used tidbits. Great recipe!
Jan 9, 2008
These are delicious. Served at a party as an appetizer, and all the ladies wanted the recipe!