These meatballs are braised in hoisin sauce and cabernet sauvignon for a delicious, rich sauce. If you prefer not to use wine, substitute beef broth. —Lisa de Perio, Dallas, Texas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 large egg
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat broiler. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, whisk together wine, hoisin sauce and soy sauce. Cook, covered, on high 30 minutes. Meanwhile, combine next seven ingredients. Add beef and pork; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-1/2-in. meatballs; place on a rack in a broiler pan. Broil 3-4 in. from heat until browned, 3-4 minutes.
- Add meatballs to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, stirring halfway through, until meatballs are cooked through, 2-3 hours. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meatball mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high until heated through, about 8 minutes, gently stirring halfway through.
Nutrition Facts1 meatball: 73 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Cabernet Hoisin Meatballs in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017