Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup water, optional
- Additional snipped parsley
- In a bowl, combine first 10 ingredients; shape into 18 meatballs, 2 in. each. Heat the oil in a skillet; brown the meatballs. Remove meatballs and drain fat. Spoon sauerkraut into skillet; top with meatballs. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through, adding water if necessary. Sprinkle with parsley. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meatball mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 376 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 1636mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Jun 21, 2018
This is similar to the one my MIL made, but it had raw rice and cooked for a long time in the sauerkraut. Loved that this is much faster and very, very good.
Jun 9, 2018
Superb! I did, though, make a few personal adjustments (caraway seeds, German stone-ground mustard, even some bacon (who doesn't like bacon?). This is definately a basic recipe to adjust to your personal likings. Served over garlic mashed potatoes. Yum!! Leftover meatballs were great with pasta sauce over spaghetti.
May 15, 2018
I love sauerkraut!!!!
Jan 27, 2018
Loved this recipe. The meatballs are different and delicious.
Jul 19, 2017
These were very good. I did however bake these in the oven and they were fine. I also would've served them over sauerkraut but the family would not have it! HaHa. Will definitely make again. Thank you for sharing!
Jun 18, 2017
Delish!! I used ground turkey and 2 beer brats . Tasted fine :) and added caraway to the sauerkarut!!!
Jun 4, 2016
these look quite tasty... except for the sodium of 3 meatballs is 1636 mg - wow! I cant wait to make them tho'!
Feb 12, 2016
I made this for my husband and I last night and it was delicious. I only made a half batch since it was just two of us. The only changes I made was a bit of caraway added to the sauerkraut and I added a few new potatoes to the mixture. Definitely will be making this again.
Feb 11, 2016
"Brought my wife back to her German roots. The chopped onion and caraway seed suggestions from previous reviewers were spot on and we went a bit further and added in some thyme, sage, white wine before adding some extra wide egg noodles and sour cream to make a cream sauce. A pinch of salt and pepper and a handful of golden raisins to give it some sweetness to compliment the tangy kraut. A top 10 dish for sure on a cold winter night"
Feb 9, 2016
so good, but like with most recipes I made changes to suit my taste and I like Bavarian kraut, But New Years diet says no sugar, so used reg. can of kraut, added caraway seed, 2 TBS Splenda, chopped onion and let the kraut sit for about 15 minutes before adding to the pan of meatballs and did drain the fat
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.