Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 8 ounces cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese, 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 jars (28 ounces each) pizza sauce
- Hot cooked pasta or rice or sandwich buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 48 meatballs.
- Stuff a cube of cheese into the center of each meatball, covering the cheese completely with meat. Roll lightly in flour.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Add pizza sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink. Serve with pasta, rice, in buns or as an appetizer.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 282 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 734mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 21, 2014
they are good, but not something I would normally make because they are time consuming. I baked my meatballs at 400 for 20 minutes and I did not roll them in flour or fry in oil. That worked very well.. Especially is using to make pizza meatball subs, would be less time consuming to just make the meatballs, simmer them in pizza sauce and top with shredded mozzarella cheese instead of stuffing them.
Jun 7, 2013
I made the meatballs and brought them to a potluck as an appetizer. They were a hit! A nice change from typical meatball recipes.
Jun 1, 2013
These were really good. I halved the recipe for us. I served them as subs, but I think next time I would serve them over pasta.
Jan 13, 2013
My 11 year old niece made the meatballs and they are delicious!!!!
Dec 2, 2012
Made this for supper last night. I thought it was good, but my hubby really liked and he ate all the leftovers!! I thought the browning was a pain so if I make this again, I think I will try baking the meatballs in the oven and then add them to the sauce.
Aug 24, 2011
Time consuming to stuff, but very tasty.
Feb 9, 2011
I actually make this recipe without the cheese inside and my family loves the meatballs.
Jun 15, 2009
These are SO yummy! Will definately make again soon.
Nov 27, 2008
This recipe is very easy! And it got RAVE reviews at our work party cookout/potluck party this summer as an appetizer. MyCo-workers are still begging me to make it again and bring them to work! DELICIOUS!!! You gotta try them!