Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 slice white bread, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute the onion, carrots and green pepper in oil until tender. Add the tomato sauce, broth, pineapple, brown sugar, vinegar and ketchup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, bread, zucchini, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 2-in. balls. Carefully add to tomato mixture. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink.
- Add rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 389 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 991mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 2, 2014
This takes some time to make, but both my husband and I really liked it. I did make a few substitutions. To make them dairy free, I used soy milk instead of milk and oats instead of bread. I didn't have chicken broth on hand so I just used water and added some seasonings. I also didn't have minute rice, so I added cooked brown rice instead, this made it a bit more like soup, but it was good. I think I will make this again.
Jun 15, 2014
I really liked the flavor of these meatballs. The only problem I ran into, was getting the pink out. I had to cook them a bit longer than the recipe said. I would make these again, just because of the good combination of flavor.
May 24, 2014
Loved this recipe---
Apr 24, 2012
The Kids liked everything except the taste of the turkey. I will probably mix half beef half turkey next time and add some more seasoning to the meat.
Feb 20, 2012
This recipe was amazing! I cooked everything in a large skillet since I didn't have a Dutch oven. I didn't have any zucchini either, so I added some bread crumbs to help form the meatballs. My husband loved it and friends asked for the recipe! Definitely a keeper!
Feb 4, 2012
The flavors are great! Meatballs are fantastic! The rice absorbed too much of the juice. Next time I will omit the rice and serve over noodles.