Tangy and Sweet Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 10 gingersnaps, finely crushed
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, onion, bread crumbs and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in batches in oil. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until cookie crumbs are dissolved. Pour over meatballs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 526 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 155mg cholesterol, 1226mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Jan 22, 2020
Made to a T - sooooooo good!!!
Sep 15, 2019
I've made these meatballs since this recipe was originally published. Nm it is a family favorite! The gingersnaps gravy is something special! It makes a big serving, so I make two smaller trays and freeze one for later. Nothing says Fall like these meatballs and mashed potatoes!
Sep 12, 2019
Delicious and it has become a family meal and now my daughter is using this delicious recipe too!
Dec 17, 2017
I'm sorry this isn't a review but a question...is there a mis-statement in the nutritional information? 1226mg sodium per each? Per each meatball? Per each serving? Even if it's per servings, this number seems extraordinarily high.
Jan 24, 2017
Easy to make and pretty good!
Dec 30, 2015
These are excellent meatballs! My family loves these with mashed potatoes.
Dec 23, 2015
FINALLY!!!! Someone can actually post a recipe that includes the recipe for the meatballs! I haven't tried these yet, but the fact that there's a meatball recipe earns it 5 stars for me. THANK YOU!!! They sound delicious and will give them a try, even if it's for my pleasure at home.
Oct 11, 2014
i love them sooo much! is there any way i can adjust the serving? i want to make some for me but 8 servings is wayyy too much. Can someone please help? these are the only meatballs i will eat.
May 1, 2014
These meatballs are freaking AMAZING!!!! They are alwayssss a hit! I make them every chance I get on a holiday and everybody loves them!!!!!
Apr 3, 2014
Delicious every time, even the kids eat it