Slow Cooker Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours 20 min.
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sweet-and-sour sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen snow peas
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil for 4-5 minutes; drain. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the chicken, water chestnuts, carrots, soy sauce and pineapple juice. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, sweet-and-sour sauce, water and ginger until smooth. Stir into the slow cooker. Add onions and reserved pineapple; cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Add peas; cook 5 minutes longer. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 293 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 753mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 4, 2013
Wonderful flavors. Easy to make. The Taste of Home-casseroles, slow cooker & soups cookbook has a recipe for sweet and sour sauce if you prefer making your own (page 40). Five stars. Thank you Dorothy for sharing with us.
Jan 28, 2011
I was very disappointed in this recipe. I didn't feel it tasted very Asian. I didn't care for the taste of the bottled sweet n sour even before I put it in, but it wasn't that good before I put the sauce in either. The snowpeas definitely needed to cook longer. The flavors just didn't seem to blend well together, I will not make this again.
Nov 9, 2009
Very good recipe. Next time I will be in the snow peas at the some time as the onions and pineapples. Five minutes was not long enough for them to cook.
Apr 16, 2009
I simply love this recipe. It is very easy to put together and served over rice it tastes so good. It has become a family favorite. I highly recommend this recipe--it is definitely worth trying!!