All-Day Meatball Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Place the meatballs, potatoes, carrots, onion and mushrooms in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, broth, water, wine, garlic powder and pepper; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 384 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 1317mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 31, 2016
My family loved this recipe! I added 1/4 tsp of basil, thyme, rosemary, and cayenne pepper. It really enhanced the flavor and made it so savory!
Oct 26, 2016
My family really loved this. I only made one change. I substituted beef broth for the water and the wine. A great comfort food!
Oct 10, 2016
I'm not going to make this again. It was pretty "blah" tasting, I added a clove of garlic, red pepper flakes and some cayenne pepper; still not enough umph. Bland, bland, bland.
Oct 7, 2016
Glad we tried this recipe although not a keeper for our family. Made for dinner as written, slow cooked all day. In the end, didn't wow us. Each had a bowl and have loads of leftovers, but may throw out. Not sure what went wrong, but rather make a nice beef stew instead.
Oct 5, 2016
This sounds great but is there a way to reduce the sodium?
May 22, 2015
I prepared this delicious dish recently and declare it a winner. I followed the recipe except I used regular carrots that I cut up instead of the baby carrots. My husband and I loved this recipe. I will be making it again and again. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor for Taste of Home.
Feb 22, 2015
I substituted turkey and pork meatballs with portobello mushrooms and spinach (Schwan's 581) and I used Yukon gold potatoes. This was a great and quick to make recipe. We served it with jalapeno cornbread and a salad.
Sep 23, 2013
Very good and easy to make. I used the leftover beef broth (from the 3/4 cup) to mix with the flour for the thickener. Definitely a keeper.
Jan 13, 2013
My family loved this. My husband ate the leftovers as meatball sandwiches and added chipotle sauce.
Nov 17, 2012
This was a big hit in my home. Very easy and inexpensive to make. I will be making this again.