All-Day Meatball Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Place the meatballs, potatoes, carrots, onion and mushrooms in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, broth, water, wine, garlic powder and pepper; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 384 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 1317mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein.
Oct 31, 2016
My family loved this recipe! I added 1/4 tsp of basil, thyme, rosemary, and cayenne pepper. It really enhanced the flavor and made it so savory!
Oct 26, 2016
My family really loved this. I only made one change. I substituted beef broth for the water and the wine. A great comfort food!
Oct 10, 2016
I'm not going to make this again. It was pretty "blah" tasting, I added a clove of garlic, red pepper flakes and some cayenne pepper; still not enough umph. Bland, bland, bland.
Oct 7, 2016
Glad we tried this recipe although not a keeper for our family. Made for dinner as written, slow cooked all day. In the end, didn't wow us. Each had a bowl and have loads of leftovers, but may throw out. Not sure what went wrong, but rather make a nice beef stew instead.
Oct 5, 2016
This sounds great but is there a way to reduce the sodium?
May 22, 2015
I prepared this delicious dish recently and declare it a winner. I followed the recipe except I used regular carrots that I cut up instead of the baby carrots. My husband and I loved this recipe. I will be making it again and again. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor for Taste of Home.
Feb 22, 2015
I substituted turkey and pork meatballs with portobello mushrooms and spinach (Schwan's 581) and I used Yukon gold potatoes. This was a great and quick to make recipe. We served it with jalapeno cornbread and a salad.
Sep 23, 2013
Very good and easy to make. I used the leftover beef broth (from the 3/4 cup) to mix with the flour for the thickener. Definitely a keeper.
Jan 13, 2013
My family loved this. My husband ate the leftovers as meatball sandwiches and added chipotle sauce.
Nov 17, 2012
This was a big hit in my home. Very easy and inexpensive to make. I will be making this again.