Microwave Meatball Stew
The meatballs are made extra fast in the microwave for the perfect weeknight stew. The herbs are so flavorful and will make the stew so delicious.—Clara Goddard, Orillia, Ontario
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole potatoes, drained and quartered
- 1-1/4 cups frozen sliced carrots
- 1-1/4 cups frozen peas
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, crumbs, onion and soup mix. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- Place in a microwave-safe baking dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes. Turn meatballs and microwave 3-4 minutes longer; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the next seven ingredients; spoon over meatballs. Cover and cook at 50% power for 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Combine the cornstarch, water and browning sauce if desired until smooth; gradually stir into the stew. Cover and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 333 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 1274mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Microwave Meatball Stew in Country Woman January/February 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.