Vegetable Meatball Stew
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 4 cups water
- 2 medium peeled potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring water to boil. Add potatoes, carrots, onion and seasonings; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, egg and Worcestershire sauce. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; add to Dutch oven along with sweet potatoes and parsnips. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Stir in peas. Combine flour, cold water and browning sauce if desired until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 24, 2013
This stew is wonderful on a cool Fall or Winter day. I have a large family, so we double the recipe. We love this paired with homeade breadsticks. Thanks for the recipe, it's delicious!!
Jan 31, 2008
I tried this for my family last Saturday night and they loved it!!! I added some ground deer meat too, and it was fabulous!! I also used long green beans instead of the peas and that was also great!! Thanks for an awesome recipe!!!!!!!!!!!