Bavarian Meatball Stew
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 ounces) Bavarian sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Add meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 279 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 931mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Jul 20, 2015
I found this stew very flavorful and will definitely make it again! I'm a huge pasta fan & so I added a small amount of orzo. A real winner!
Oct 6, 2014
There was not as much flavor in this as I was hoping. Overall, it wasn't bad, but not really worth making again, and I am a huge sauerkraut fan.
Feb 7, 2014
I cut the all-spice and nutmeg to 1/8 tea and used sauerkraut once and cabbage once. We liked the cabbage a little better but both were good. It was really a toss up!
Oct 21, 2013
Very good! My husband & I thought it was perfect for a chilly Fall evening!
Nov 3, 2011
This is simple and very good! One of my husbands favorites.
Jul 11, 2011
My husband and I did not like the meatball recipe. I calls for 3 TBS of parsley?! I only used 1 which was plenty. The all-spice and nutmeg give it an overwhelming flavor that is not good with the rest of the stew. However, the actual stew was very good. I liked the addition of sauerkraut and if we do make this again, we will use the soup base and our own meatballs! Maybe even some pieces of steak would be better!
Apr 3, 2011
My family loves this recipe! We have also used cabbage in place of the sauerkraut, wow is that awesome!
Mar 23, 2010
Loved this recipe. Would definately make again!
Jun 28, 2009
I added 1 large carton of salt free vegetable broth to help dilute the sodium content somewhat, It still tasted great. Next time I may leave out the Lipton soup mix though, you could always use fresh or dried onion flakes to a similar purpose.
Apr 16, 2009
I make this with purchased meatballs, usually the small party meatballs from Trader Joe's. Not having to make the meatballs from scratch saves a lot of time. This is one of our favorite family meals. We put a mound of mashed potatoes in the center of a bowl, make a depression and put the stew on top.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.