Bavarian Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-3/4 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck pot roast (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup beer or beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Cornstarch and water, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in hot oil. Combine water, beer, tomato sauce, onion, sugar, vinegar, salt, cinnamon, bay leaf, pepper and ginger. Pour over meat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2-1/2-3 hours.
- Remove meat. Discard bay leaf. If desired, thicken juices with cornstarch and water. Freeze option: Place sliced pot roast in freezer containers; top with cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth to pot roast if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 281 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 633mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 27g protein.
Mar 1, 2018
Really enjoyed have made it a couple of times now .
Nov 18, 2017
made it was great, but now have no tomato sauce... could i use a substitution ?
Oct 15, 2017
Can you make this in a crock pot ?
Oct 9, 2017
I am only posting this review because I made this and did not enjoy it. So. If you are unsure that you would like cinnamon flavoring in your meat, you may want to skip this recipe. Definitely seems like it would be an acquired taste.
Sep 25, 2017
Instead of thickening with cornstarch, I use crumbled fine Ginger Snaps. It gives the gravy a much needed zing.I also agree, this is not Bavarian. There is no RED WINE in your recipe . You need the wine for the acid in the meat!!!
Sep 24, 2017
I am 100% Bavarian born and bred in Munich. This is a nice recipe but NOT Bavarian or even German.
Aug 30, 2017
Absolutely delicious!! The cinnamon is what makes this dish. I make this using a pork roast. Do yourself a favor and add some ground cloves too.
Feb 28, 2017
My husband absolutely loved this! Definitely a keeper to make again. I doubled the sauce, so there would be enough liquid to cover the meat, and also to use up the whole can of beer!
Feb 27, 2017
So good! We really enjoyed the flavors in this meal. It was easy to make too! We will definitely be making this again soon!
Nov 23, 2016
We thought this was very good, although next time we might back off on the cinnamon.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.