Bavarian Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-3/4 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck pot roast (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup beer or beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Cornstarch and water, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in hot oil. Combine water, beer, tomato sauce, onion, sugar, vinegar, salt, cinnamon, bay leaf, pepper and ginger. Pour over meat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2-1/2-3 hours.
- Remove meat. Discard bay leaf. If desired, thicken juices with cornstarch and water.
Freeze option: Place sliced pot roast in freezer containers; top with cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth to pot roast if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 281 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 633mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 24, 2019
Very unique flavor! I seared the roast in a pan and placed it in crockpot, covered with the sauce and cooked on low for ~6 hours. Took out some of the juices to make the sauce/gravy with the cornstarch at the end and served over polenta. Extremely tasty and everyone (adults, kids and toddler) loved it!
Nov 26, 2018
In what way is this a slow cooker recipe? I see nothing about using a slow cooker to make it.
Nov 10, 2018
Would probably make again. Gravy was fantastic with mashed potatoes
Jul 19, 2018
This has become one of our staples.
Mar 1, 2018
Really enjoyed have made it a couple of times now .
Nov 18, 2017
made it was great, but now have no tomato sauce... could i use a substitution ?
Oct 15, 2017
Can you make this in a crock pot ?
Oct 9, 2017
I am only posting this review because I made this and did not enjoy it. So. If you are unsure that you would like cinnamon flavoring in your meat, you may want to skip this recipe. Definitely seems like it would be an acquired taste.
Sep 25, 2017
Instead of thickening with cornstarch, I use crumbled fine Ginger Snaps. It gives the gravy a much needed zing.I also agree, this is not Bavarian. There is no RED WINE in your recipe . You need the wine for the acid in the meat!!!
Sep 24, 2017
I am 100% Bavarian born and bred in Munich. This is a nice recipe but NOT Bavarian or even German.