Old-Fashioned Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 celery rib, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Sprinkle the roast with 1 tablespoon flour. In a Dutch oven, brown the roast on all sides in half of the butter. Add the water, bouillon, onion, celery, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add carrots; cover and simmer 45-60 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Remove meat and carrots to a serving platter and keep warm. Strain cooking juices; set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven, melt remaining butter. Stir in remaining flour; cook and stir until bubbly. Add 2 cups of the cooking juices and blend until smooth. Cook and stir until thickened; add additional cooking juices until gravy has desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 407 calories, 25g fat (12g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 664mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein.
Jun 24, 2017
Nothing says "Sunday Dinner" than this pot roast with all of the trimmings!!
Jan 3, 2017
After 50 years of making tasty pot roasts, we liked this one the best. Fool proof easy recipe with delicious results!
Jan 1, 2017
We will be enjoying this delicious recipe for our New Years Day dinner today. It's been a favorite of our family of 8 since it first appeared in TOH in Oct. 1993. East to make & tastes like home. The only change I make is adding 6 potatoes, cut in half, along with the carrots! Yum!
Nov 29, 2015
This recipe is incredible! My family loves it! I make it every fall and winter months!
Oct 31, 2015
Jul 10, 2015
EX!!!!! As written... added a little red wine....
Nov 24, 2014
Very tasty! A nice change from my traditional crockpot mushroom soup recipe.field editor
Oct 20, 2013
Best recipe I've found so far. Much better than using a slow cooker!
Oct 20, 2013
I've been cooking this since it was published.
Nov 28, 2010
This is my favorite pot roast recipe. I found it years ago in Taste of Home. I looked in my magazine today and couldn't find it. Someone had clipped it out. So glad to finally find it again. It's the best ever and I've made lots of roasts in my day.