Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 2 gingersnaps, coarsely crushed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; add bread crumbs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six meatballs; place in a greased 1-qt. baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, combine mushrooms, gingersnap crumbs, water, brown sugar and bouillon. Cook and stir over low heat for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour over meatballs. Cover and bake 25 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 364 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 1225mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Jun 6, 2012
I absolutely love this recipe. I read that the average American household rotates the same 10 dinners. We like to try new things for avoid the rotation! I add closer to 8 gingersnaps and use 2 beef bouillon cubes. Also it took me over 10 minutes to get sauce to thicken. So good and out of the ordinary!!!
Feb 16, 2012
The sauce is bad because it is so sweet and too salty in same time. So I put it into the garbage. So I did new one by my taste and without brown sugar. This dish with my changes is good for one time but I would not like to make it again.
Oct 2, 2011
I have made this recipe several times and it is FANTASTIC! The whole family loves them. I love the hint of ginger and sweetness to them. I also add 1pkg. brown gravy mix and an additional cup of water to the sauce when I make them!
Feb 16, 2011
This recipe is really good! I made double the sauce though. The original doesn't make enough "juice" to put on each meatball for my tastes! I also used three ginger snaps instead of two. Much better flavor in my opinion. The one drawback to this recipe is that you either have to have the ginger snaps already, or you have to go buy a box just for two or three cookies! Other than that, I loved this and would make it again.
Nov 3, 2008
I've made this before, in a resteraunt. It is easy to make and tastes fantastic!