Bohemian Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck pot roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and pepper. Add beef; turn to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown roast over medium heat in oil on all sides. Drain.
- Stir in the water, tomatoes, caraway seeds, onion soup mix and bay leaves. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-3 hours or until roast is tender.
- Remove roast to a serving platter; keep warm. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Discard bay leaves. For gravy, combine water and flour until smooth. Add to the cooking liquid; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast and serve with gravy.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked beef: 268 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 437mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Oct 14, 2019
Awesome taste...! Blended the gravy after defatting. Used red wine instead of water, and cooked it in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours. Caraway seed added a deliciously different taste. Will make this again.
Jan 25, 2015
I have made this for years and has been a favorite of our family sine I made it first.
Jan 4, 2015
I have been making this recipe for years and it is a winner every time. It is perfect for kids coming home from college but you aren't exactly what time they will arrive. The same for company. Just make mashed potatoes, a vegetable and side salad and you are all set!
Aug 15, 2012
IThis is my new go to pot roast. My family and friends absolutely adore it. The gravy is to die for. I definitely increase the amount of gravy I get with this winner!!!
Dec 21, 2010
WOW The caraway seed really make this recipe! This is a 5 star dinner, for sure. I made it with baked potatoes and coleslaw.
Jun 21, 2008
This is the easiest and best pot roast ever! I have been making this for years now, and it's always a hit!I have given this recipe to many brides at their showers, for a dish that will certainly please their new husbands!!