Garlic Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons Italian salad dressing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Using the point of a sharp knife, make eight slits in the roast. Insert garlic into slits. Combine the garlic powder, salad dressing mix and pepper; rub over roast. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides; drain.
- Combine the water, onion soup mix and bouillon; pour over roast. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and onion. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Thicken pan juices if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 426 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 586mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 36g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 11, 2014
Mar 3, 2011
Love it! Everyone in my family liked this Roast and made a point of telling me to NOT misplace this recipe. Definately going to make this roast once a month.
Jan 28, 2011
My family went nuts for this recipe! I made a few slight variations to the recipe, but it's the recipe's base ingredients that make this roast so outstanding! I marinated the chuck roast in Pepsi for about an hour before searing it in the pan; I then used the Pepsi as a base for the basting sauce, adding additional water to it to reach the 3 cups of liquid. I also added flour to the spice rub before rubbing it on the chuck roast. Finally, I turned the chuck roast a few times in the basting sauce while it was cooking. I also roasted the vegetables in a separate dish from the chuck roast so that they would get a little crispy. I tossed the vegetables with salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary, and olive oil before roasting.