Garlic Lover’s Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 6 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons VSATEST or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Dash ground cloves
- Hot mashed potatoes
- Sprinkle beef with salt, pepper and flour; toss to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add wine to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes, broth, carrots, onions, tomato paste, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, cloves and beef.
- Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until beef is tender. Remove bay leaves. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without potatoes): 330 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 586mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Oct 25, 2017
I made this recipe as written and it was delicious! Perfect cold weather food which my family enjoyed. Easy to make with great flavors. I will definitely make this again
Nov 13, 2016
Everyone enjoyed this recipe! I used spaghetti sauce instead of tomatoes (left the flour out). Very satisfying. Great comfort food.
Nov 6, 2014
Everyone loved this, expeically me. I love garlic! Thanks!
Mar 21, 2014
Made this tonight and it was wonderful!! Used baby carrots because that's what I had. Never know what "12 cloves of garlic" means in teaspoons due to every head being different. I put browned beef right into slow cooker as everything gets stirred together anyways. I like more colour so 30 minutes before it was done I added some frozen peas and corn together with left over seasoned flour from browning beef. Thanks Alissa.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.