Garlic Lover’s Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 6 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Dash ground cloves
- Hot mashed potatoes
- Sprinkle beef with salt, pepper and flour; toss to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add wine to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes, broth, carrots, onions, tomato paste, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, cloves and beef.
- Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until beef is tender. Remove bay leaves. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 330 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 586mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Oct 25, 2017
I made this recipe as written and it was delicious! Perfect cold weather food which my family enjoyed. Easy to make with great flavors. I will definitely make this again
Nov 13, 2016
Everyone enjoyed this recipe! I used spaghetti sauce instead of tomatoes (left the flour out). Very satisfying. Great comfort food.
Nov 6, 2014
Everyone loved this, expeically me. I love garlic! Thanks!
Mar 21, 2014
Made this tonight and it was wonderful!! Used baby carrots because that's what I had. Never know what "12 cloves of garlic" means in teaspoons due to every head being different. I put browned beef right into slow cooker as everything gets stirred together anyways. I like more colour so 30 minutes before it was done I added some frozen peas and corn together with left over seasoned flour from browning beef. Thanks Alissa.