Garlic-Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 15 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10 red potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), cut into large chunks
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Rub inside of chicken with 2 tablespoons butter. With a sharp knife, cut 16 small slits in chicken breast, drumsticks and thighs. Place a halved garlic clove in each slit. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; tie drumsticks together.
- Place remaining garlic in pan. Pour half of the broth over chicken. Combine oil and lemon juice; pour half over chicken. Rub remaining butter over chicken. Combine the oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder; sprinkle half over chicken. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Place the potatoes, carrots and onion in pan. Drizzle remaining oil mixture and broth over chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle remaining oregano mixture over chicken. Cover and bake 30 minutes longer; baste. Bake, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting several times. Thicken pan juices if desired. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Feb 22, 2013
So tasty! Easy to make and only one pan to wash!
Feb 14, 2013
My chicken turned out moist & full of flavor! I was worried that cutting slits in the chicken would release the juices & dry the meat out, so I just inserted them under the skin in the breast, thighs & drumsticks. I placed the remaining garlic in the cavity. I left out the onion, but followed the rest of the recipe as is. The vegetables & the garlic were perfectly roasted & tasted so yummy! No butter or additional seasonings were required. Perfect! Will be making this recipe often.
Nov 4, 2011
This was an easy recipe to make and it smelled delicious while baking. I added about 1 Tbsp. olive oil and spread it on the skin to crisp it up a little. The meat was very tender and moist. The vegetables were perfectly done too.
Sep 17, 2009
This was wonderful! Everyone loved it and it turned out just perfect :)
Jul 13, 2009
My family really liked this. I thought it was pretty good. I was disappointed the chicken which was just under 5 lbs was not thoroughly cooked, despite being in the oven for 2 hrs. The vegies were great.
Oct 30, 2008
This chicken was absolutely fantastic! It had such a wonderful smell while cooking and the taste exceeded my expectations. Will definitely make again. Followed the directions to a "T".
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.