Root Vegetable Pot Roast
During the hectic holiday season, I make this roast a lot. We've scarfed it down before and after shopping and while wrapping presents. Root vegetables and roast beef make everyone feel cozy and calm. —Pat Dazis, Charlotte, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 chai black tea bags
- 2 medium potatoes (about 1 pound), cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium turnips (about 9 ounces), cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil; remove from heat. Add tea bags; steep, covered, 3-5 minutes according to taste. Discard tea bags. Meanwhile, combine vegetables in a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown roast on all sides. Place over vegetables; pour tea-steeped broth over top. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper; top with lemon slices. Cook, covered, on low until beef and vegetables are tender, 7-9 hours.
- Discard lemon. Remove roast and vegetables from slow cooker; keep warm.
- Transfer cooking juices to a saucepan; skim fat. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into juices. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with roast and vegetables.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 421 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 523mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Root Vegetable Beef Pot Roast in Simple & Delicious October/November 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.