Beer-Braised Roast with Root Vegetables
I like the combination of seasoned vegetables and lean meat in this recipe, and my wife likes how the seasonings complement the meat. I serve the roast with a garden salad and crusty multigrain bread. —Malcolm Cieszko, Washington, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 boneless beef chuck or venison roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound fresh whole mushrooms, quartered
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) dark beer or 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons seedless blackberry spreadable fruit
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides. Place vegetables in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Place roast over vegetables. In a small bowl, combine beer, 2 tablespoons parsley, Worcestershire sauce, spreadable fruit, salt and pepper; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat and bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast and vegetables; sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef with 1 cup vegetables and 3/4 cup gravy: 539 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 147mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 47g protein.
Originally published as Roast Venison with Root Vegetables in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2014