Spice-Braised Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Mix all remaining ingredients except noodles; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 7-9 hours.
- Discard bay leaf. If desired, skim fat and thicken cooking juices. Serve pot roast with noodles and juices.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 276 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Feb 22, 2020
Very good with beef tips, no poppy seeds, no sugar, tomato sauce rather than puree (none on hand).
Nov 22, 2019
Extremely acidic. I tried to cut the acidity with butter, baking soda, sugar and cinnamon. My family liked it after I did this but I probably will never make this again.
Mar 23, 2018
ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! What a unique flavor for a pot roast and couldn't be easier...just put the roast in the slow cooker (no browning necessary), mix the remaining ingredients and turn on the switch! Our preference is to serve this over noodles. Thank you for such a flavorful take on pot roast!
Feb 3, 2017
I seared the roast & Then put in the crock pot. No poppy seeds. I threw in some coriander. Good indian style/flavored pot roast . Not hot in seasonings, and very tasty. About 6 hours in my crock.
Nov 25, 2016
Excellent! And it is just as good, if not better, the second time around. Since I was planning to oven-braise the roast. I browned it in my Dutch oven before adding the remaining ingredients. I then brought it to a boil on the stovetop and baked it @325 degrees for about 3 hours. I served it over wide noodles, and it was falling-apart tender. This recipe will take its place in my fall-winter dinner rotation.
Nov 7, 2016
Fabulous! One son said it just might beat out the old family favorite. Even better on day 2.
Jan 3, 2016
Excellent recipe. The vinegar and ginger adds a really unique flavor.
Jan 13, 2014
This recipe had a lot of flavor, but I thought the juice was overly greasy.
Oct 25, 2013
this is a delicious recipe!!
Nov 9, 2011
Served over rice this is a family favorite!