Coffee-Braised Roast Beef
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Cook: 6-1/2 hours
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed, divided
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds), trimmed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Mashed potatoes
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine vinegar and 2 garlic cloves. Add roast; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade. Pat roast dry; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place roast in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker; add coffee, broth, onion and remaining garlic. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-7 hours.
- Remove roast and keep warm. Strain cooking juices, discarding onion and garlic; skim fat. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high until gravy is thickened, 30 minutes. Slice roast; serve with mashed potatoes and gravy.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup gravy (calculated without potatoes): 324 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 636mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 36g protein.
Mar 24, 2017
This Coffee-Braised Roast Beef recipe is good. The roast was very tender. I followed the recipe exactly as written. If I was to make it again, I would use less cider vinegar as it was slightly overpowering.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.