Braised Beef with Mushrooms
This slow-cooked beef is so tender, it melts in your mouth. The ingredients have time to season the meat, and it's a delicious entree for two. —Pamela Boersma, Monument, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 3/4 pound beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash pepper
- In a large saucepan, brown meat in oil in batches. Remove and set aside.
- In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil. Return beef to the pan. Add the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 361 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 724mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
Feb 1, 2016
Perfect! Didn't change anything but did use slow cooker. Served over rice. Steamed veggies on the side. As a volunteer food editor for Taste of Home I love preparing classic dishes that are quick to put together.