Coffee Roast Beef
I used to work in a coffee shop, so the idea of using coffee in a delicious entree just tickles me. The coffee add a rich flavor to the gravy.—
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours
Makes6 servings plus leftovers
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup water, divided
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides. Remove and set aside. Add onion to the pan; saute until tender. Add garlic and seasonings; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the coffee, 3/4 cup water and stock; return roast to pan. Bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef to a serving platter; keep warm. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Set aside 2 cups shredded cooked Coffee Roast Beef for Mini Beef Chimichangas and 1/2 pound cooked cubed beef for Spinach Beef Stew. Slice remaining roast and serve with gravy.
Originally published as Cuppa Joe Roast Beef in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.