Barbecued Beef Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (3-1/2 pounds)
- In a small bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Stir in Liquid Smoke if desired. Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; pour ketchup mixture over the top.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm. Skim fat from pan juices and thicken juices if desired. Serve with beef.
Mar 3, 2013
I made this substituting vinegar for the lemon juice (just didn't have any) and put it in the crock pot 8 hours on low instead of oven. Otherwise everything else was exactly as written. It turned out amazing, and it made the whole house smell so good.Thought we were at one of those expensive "roadhouse BBQ" places!
Feb 7, 2012
I made this for my family for Super Bowl Sunday dinner. I had to use a rump roast because that was what was available. I don't think it mattered. I baked it too long (at least 3 hours) and it was dry. Plus the sauce that you put over the roast mostly disappeared and it didn't really flavor the meat that much. I think the crock pot method would improve the results. I'm going to shred the leftovers and toss them with BBQ sauce for Sloppy Joe's.
Mar 27, 2011
This roast was really tasty and tender. A big hit with my husband and kids.
Jan 22, 2011
This was outstanding. I cooked it in the slow cooker for seven hours and used all of the ingredients except the Liquid Smoke. Excellent! My husband and two boys all loved it. Will definitely make again.
Aug 9, 2010
I ended up omitting the celery salt and the liquid smoke, but it was still absolutely delicious. I will make this recipe again!
Nov 13, 2009
Absolutely delicious. I made this with an English roast and it was wonderful. This is now my favorite roast recipe. You can make it as spicy as you want by how much hot sauce you add.
Jun 4, 2009
I followed this recipe and cooked in a crock pot all day and it tasted really good. I served it on bread like an open faced sandwich and my guys liked it. I would definitely make it again.