Herbed Roast Beef
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons each dried basil, marjoram, savory and thyme
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bone-in beef rib roasts (4 to 6 pounds each)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- HORSERADISH SAUCE:
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- In a small bowl, combine the fennel seed, rosemary, basil, marjoram, savory, thyme, sage and salt; rub over roasts. Place roasts fat side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Top with onions and rosemary sprigs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Discard onions and rosemary. Let roasts stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Serve with beef.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 15, 2010
It was my first time ever making a roast, the one i made was closer to 7 pounds and i had 12 people over for dinner. Needless to say their were no left-overs. It was a big hit, amazing flavors, i would definately make this again!
Jan 2, 2010
Wonderful flavor, couldn't have been easier. This was the first time I had ever made one and was a little aprehensive. But once again, I was not disappointed. Bought taste of Home cookbook for girls in my family and boy was I the hit at christmas! whhooo hooo!
Oct 30, 2009
The rub gave the roast a very strong and savory flavor.