Herbed Roast Beef
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons each dried basil, marjoram, savory and thyme
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bone-in beef rib roasts (4 to 6 pounds each)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- HORSERADISH SAUCE:
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- In a small bowl, combine the fennel seed, rosemary, basil, marjoram, savory, thyme, sage and salt; rub over roasts. Place roasts fat side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Top with onions and rosemary sprigs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Discard onions and rosemary. Let roasts stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Serve with beef.
Feb 15, 2010
It was my first time ever making a roast, the one i made was closer to 7 pounds and i had 12 people over for dinner. Needless to say their were no left-overs. It was a big hit, amazing flavors, i would definately make this again!
Jan 2, 2010
Wonderful flavor, couldn't have been easier. This was the first time I had ever made one and was a little aprehensive. But once again, I was not disappointed. Bought taste of Home cookbook for girls in my family and boy was I the hit at christmas! whhooo hooo!
Oct 30, 2009
The rub gave the roast a very strong and savory flavor.