Coffee Marinated Steak
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds beef top sirloin steak (1 inch thick)
- In a small skillet, toast sesame seeds in butter. Add onion and garlic; saute until tender. In a large bowl, combine the coffee, soy sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and sesame seed mixture.
- Pour half into a shallow dish; add steak and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade from steak. Grill steak, covered, over medium-hot heat for 6-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Warm reserved marinade; serve with steak.
Nutrition Facts6 ounce-weight: 307 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 1972mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 37g protein.
Feb 2, 2011
I made this recipe the 1st time 3 years ago when it came out in a Picnic and Potluck special edition. Love it. It has become the family favorite now and we always have requests for it. We've even had it for christmas dinner with Lobster. We use a Flat Iron steak and slice after cooking. If there are leftovers we have the next day with sauteed onions and green peppers on a sub roll with melted provolone cheese. Love it that way also.
Jun 13, 2010
This was a really easy marinade to make and the steak was very flavorful. I tasted mostly the soy sauce and not so much the coffee. The steak was juicy and really infused with flavor.