Marinated Ostrich Steak
We raise ostriches on our farm on the eastern shore of Maryland, so we have an abundance of meat on hand to use for a variety of dishes. It's a lean meat that tastes similar to beef. My mother-in-law gave me this marinade recipe, and I've used it with a number of meats.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cider or white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ostrich or beef tenderloin steaks (4 ounces each)
- In a resealable plastic bag or shallow glass container, combine the first 10 ingredients; mix well. Add meat to marinade and turn to coat. Seal bag or cover container; refrigerate overnight, turning meat occasionally. Drain and discard marinade. Broil or grill, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes. Turn and cook 6-8 minutes longer or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; and well done, 170°).
Originally published as Marinated Ostrich Steak in Country December/January 1998