Coffee-Braised Short Ribs
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds small red potatoes, cut in half
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves separated, peeled and slightly crushed
- 4 cups strong brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Sprinkle ribs with 1 teaspoon salt, coriander and pepper. In a large skillet, brown ribs in oil in batches. Using tongs, transfer ribs to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add potatoes and onion.
- Add broth to the skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in garlic and remaining salt; add to slow cooker. Pour coffee over top. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and potatoes to a serving platter; keep warm. Strain cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in vinegar. Remove from the heat; whisk in butter. Serve with ribs and potatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 320 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 9, 2013
This was not a bad flavor but just too much grease for our family. No matter how much you brown them, that many bone-in beef ribs ends up in too much fat after 6 to 8 hours in a crockpot. Plus I am a lazy cook...I don't want to put something in my crockpot that I have to spend all of that time browning on top my stove first.