Braised Short Ribs with Gravy
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 5 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, divided
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 fresh oregano sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle short ribs with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt. In an ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown ribs in oil in batches. Remove meat and set aside. Add next five ingredients to drippings; cook until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Return ribs to pan. Add 4 cups broth, rosemary, oregano, bay leaf and remaining pepper; bring to a boil. Bake, covered, until meat is tender, 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Remove ribs to a serving platter and tent with foil. Discard herbs.
- Pour drippings and loosened browned bits from roasting pan into a measuring cup. Skim fat. Add enough remaining broth to drippings to measure 1 cup. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in broth mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with ribs.
Nutrition Facts1 serving.: 310 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 507mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Feb 23, 2016
Very good. I added 2 tbsp of tomato paste. I cooked it in the slow cooker, l would make this again. Janet. VFE
Feb 26, 2012
I made this for a date & they loved it!
Jun 16, 2010
Tried this recipe, it is so delicious. It is very tasty and meat is so tender. I will definetly be making this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.