Braised Short Ribs with Gravy
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 5 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, divided
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 fresh oregano sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle short ribs with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt. In an ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown ribs in oil in batches. Remove meat and set aside. Add next five ingredients to drippings; cook until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Return ribs to pan. Add 4 cups broth, rosemary, oregano, bay leaf and remaining pepper; bring to a boil. Bake, covered, until meat is tender, 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Remove ribs to a serving platter and tent with foil. Discard herbs.
- Pour drippings and loosened browned bits from roasting pan into a measuring cup. Skim fat. Add enough remaining broth to drippings to measure 1 cup. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in broth mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with ribs.
Nutrition Facts1 serving.: 310 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 507mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 23, 2016
Very good. I added 2 tbsp of tomato paste. I cooked it in the slow cooker, l would make this again. Janet. VFE
Feb 26, 2012
I made this for a date & they loved it!
Jun 16, 2010
Tried this recipe, it is so delicious. It is very tasty and meat is so tender. I will definetly be making this again.