Pork Chops with Gravy
This is an impressive and elegant dish that can be served to guests. You can use any fresh herbs you like, even the ones you have one hand.—Betty Slivon, Sun City, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (7 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon parsley and thyme. Sprinkle pork chops with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dip chops in egg mixture, then crumb mixture.
- In a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, cook pork chops in oil for 4 minutes on each side. Bake, uncovered, at 425° until a thermometer reads 145°, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in second skillet, melt butter. Stir in flour and remaining salt and pepper until smooth; gradually stir in cream and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 2 minutes. Serve gravy with pork chops; sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 pork chop with 1/3 cup gravy: 683 calories, 55g fat (23g saturated fat), 189mg cholesterol, 933mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Pork Chops with Gravy in Healthy Cooking June/July 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.