Short Rib Soup
This is one of my dad's most irresistible dishes. It has a flavorful broth, tender meat and colorful vegetables. It really hits the spot on a chilly fall or winter day.—Art Winter, Trumbull, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours 10 min.
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) lima beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans
- 4 cups water
- 2 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- Drain beans, reserving liquid; set beans aside. Place the liquid in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut the meat into bite-size pieces and return to kettle. Add beans and cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Originally published as Short Rib Soup in Taste of Home February/March 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.