Short Rib Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours 10 min.
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) lima beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans
- 4 cups water
- 2 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- Drain beans, reserving liquid; set beans aside. Place the liquid in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut the meat into bite-size pieces and return to kettle. Add beans and cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 25, 2019
Didn’t follow recipe exactly, so can’t comment on flavor. Cooks should note that short ribs can be pretty fatty and soup will require skimming.
Feb 19, 2012
Have made this twice and it was a hit both times. Will freeze some this time for those winter days I do not want to cook.