Melt-in-Your-Mouth Chuck Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, halved and sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Mix first10 ingredients. Place onion, green pepper and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker; place roast over top. Pour tomato mixture over roast. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 5-6 hours.
- Remove roast. Strain cooking juices, reserving vegetables. Transfer juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve roast and vegetables with gravy. Freeze option: Place sliced beef and vegetables in freezer containers; top with gravy. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup gravy: 362 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 880mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Apr 4, 2018
It was delicious.
Mar 8, 2018
Seasoned the roast all over with salt and pepper and browned on all sides in a hot skillet that had 2 tbsp. of olive oil in it before placing on the onions and sliced garlic in the slow cooker. Added carrots, peppers and celery on top and poured the tomatoe mixture over the roast. I find the vegetables don’t get to mushy this way. I also leave out the brown sugar, add thyme and a couple of bay leaves.
Feb 13, 2018
I added a carrot to the vegetables under the roast and a little red wine with only 1 T. of brown sugar. My vegetables were pretty mushy so after removing about half of the tomatoes I used an immersion blender with what was left and made the gravy. Thanks so much for the recipe!
Jan 1, 2018
this was a great recipe. ditto on the house smelling great. good flavor and tender. didn't really need a steak knife to eat it. keeper recipe.
Nov 13, 2017
Made this recipe yesterday and loved it! The flavors were bright, the gravy was delicious on mashed potatoes. And a bonus, the house smelled wonderful all day!
Nov 8, 2017
I added 1 tsp. crushed rosemary and 1 tsp. thyme. It's delicious!!!
Oct 17, 2017
Just made this last weekend and it was wonderful! Everyone loved it, even the kids! It's definitely a keeper!
Apr 2, 2017
This was a split decision. While we loved the meat, the sauce was way to sweet for us. The gravy had a nice thickness, but brown sugar....not for us
Feb 1, 2017
My family loved this recipe! So tender and full of flavor. Glad I have a great roast recipe now!
Dec 25, 2016
Followed the recipe as is, just reduced brown sugar to 2 tbsp and I added some baby carrots the last hour of cooking. Absolutely amazing flavor!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.