Pressure-Cooker Melt-in-Your-Mouth Chuck Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min. + releasing
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, halved and sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a bowl, mix first 10 ingredients. Place onion, green pepper and celery in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker; place roast over top. Pour tomato mixture over roast. Lock lid; adjust to pressure-cook on high for 35 minutes. Allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure.
- Remove roast and strain cooking juices, reserving vegetables; keep roast and vegetables warm. Skim fat from juices. Return juices to the pressure cooker. Select saute setting and adjust for low heat; bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Serve roast and vegetables with gravy.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 365 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 792mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Jan 6, 2020
We typically make a beef gravy pot roast and were concerned that this recipe would be too much tomato. But we all loved this variation! We cooked the meat almost twice as long to get the desired tenderness. Adding this recipe to our dinner rotation.
Jun 14, 2019
We loved it, the meat was soft and very tasty, I was looking for a recipe like this one for a long time because I prefer meals that are not fried or have too much fat. Thank you for sharing.
Apr 4, 2019
Flavors were good, and a little spicy, but my roast turned out pretty tough. Maybe cook it longer.
Jan 31, 2019
The flavors were great. The roast was tough. I will make this again, but use the slow cook method. It did make a scrumptious stew, just chopped up the beef and mixed it in with the veggies and juices.
Jan 13, 2019
This roast was delicious. The roast was tender and the gravy had a great flavor.