Pressure Cooker Melt-in-Your-Mouth Chuck Roast
My husband and I like well-seasoned foods, so this slow-cooked recipe is terrific. You'll also love how flavorful and tender this comforting roast turns out. —Bette McCumber, Schenectady, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min. + releasing
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, halved and sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a bowl, mix first 10 ingredients. Place onion, green pepper and celery in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker; place roast over top. Pour tomato mixture over roast. Lock lid; make sure vent is closed. Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high, and set time for 35 minutes. When finished cooking, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure according to manufacturer's directions.
- Remove roast. Strain cooking juices, reserving vegetables. Skim fat from juices. Return juices to the pressure cooker. Select saute setting, and adjust for high heat; bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened, 1-2 minutes. Return beef mixture to pressure cooker. Stir. Serve roast and vegetables with gravy.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 365 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 792mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Melt-in-Your-Mouth Chuck Roast in Cook It Fast, Cook It Slow
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.