Chuck Roast with Homemade Noodles
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) beef broth
- Pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast and onion in oil. Add 1 cup water. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, for noodles, combine flour and salt in a bowl; make a well in the center. Beat egg and milk; pour into well. Stir to form a stiff dough. Turn onto a well-floured surface; roll into a 15x12-in. rectangle. Cut into 1/8-in. strips. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Remove roast and keep warm; add broth and remaining water to pan. Bring to a boil; add noodles. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain; season with pepper. Serve with the roast.
Jan 2, 2013
ULTIMATE COMFORT FOOD..my family loves this and I make it at least twice a month!!
Mar 17, 2009
My reciept is very much like this one and I think whole milk makes them much better than water that most call for. I am always the one that has to bring the homemakd noodles to all of our get together. I make mine just before it is time to put them in and don't have to put them in the frige that way. I still have time while they are cooking to finih up the rest of the meal then. Like to have a nickel for every one I have made over the last 60 years. Everyone should try at least once to make them, they won't buy the dried ones again. I have taught our childrena and grand children how to make them. JulMoore
Feb 22, 2008
I tried this recipe recently. Although it takes a little time to make the noodles, its worth it. My husband went crazy over it. He said be sure not to lose this recipe!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.