Country Chuck Roast with Mushroom Gravy
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, quartered
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 to 4 drops browning sauce, optional
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) light beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- With a sharp knife, cut six 1-in.-long slits in meat; insert a garlic clove half into each slit. Combine the brown sugar, salt and pepper; rub over roast.
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven over medium heat, brown roast in oil on all sides. Add the onion, beef consomme, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, bay leaf and browning sauce if desired.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Discard bay leaf. Add the mushrooms, beer and thyme to the pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup gravy: 326 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 750mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Nov 19, 2016
What a yummy roast! Our house smelled wonderful all afternoon. I browned the roast per instructions, then put it in my slow cooker on High. It took about 6 hours and was fork tender. Then to make the sauce I transferred the liquids and goodies from the slow cooker to a sauce pan on the stove top. This will be my go-to recipe for chuck roast in future.
Jan 22, 2012
This was the best sauce I have ever tasted. I didn't have the consume so when I looked it up it said beef broth and tomato paste so I added 10 oz water and a small can of tomato paste. Everything else I did as followed. YUMMY I did add carrots and green beans after the roast had cooked a while. Served with mash potatoes.
Jan 9, 2012
O.K. - I'm lazy but this still came out great, and the family asked this to go into a regular rotation. I prepared the roast, but didn't brown it - I threw it in a dutch oven with carrots and red potatoes. Oven roasted for a little over two hours, then put meat and veggies aside in warm oven while I finished the sauce. The garlic and thyme really make this tasty and unique. Maybe not as pretty as pre-browning the roast, but VERY GOOD without to much extra fuss.
Jan 4, 2012
This was a delicious, easy and inexpensive recipe. The sauce was delicious and there was lots of it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.